Physical Education Curriculum
The Physical Education Program at Ascension provides for scheduled time periods for all students to participate in a variety of physical movements and organized games. The curriculum provides for many opportunities for students to develop muscle strength and coordination. Even at a very young age, students begin to understand that physical activity increases stamina and flexibility. Through the use of games and other activities, students develop competency and proficiency in a variety of physical movements. They explore the use of movement and expand their understanding of the concept of team play, fairness and consideration of others.
Students participate in activities both in the school gymnasium as well as outdoors on the playground and field.
Extra-Curricular Sports Program
Ascension Catholic School provides an extra-curricular athletic program that integrates the student athlete’s life and educational program with Catholic truths and values. It is intended to develop mature and responsible young adults while bringing the entire school community together. The athletic department will provide a Christ centered atmosphere that helps foster sportsmanship, self-discipline, respect, hard work, leadership and physical fitness.
Ascension School is a member of the Coastal Catholic League and participates in sporting events competing against other area schools throughout the school year.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
Every athletic activity should be an opportunity for players and coaches:
- To be a role model to the Ascension community.
- To work with others to reach common goals.
- To overcome obstacles through hard work and determination.
- To play and live by the rules of the game.
- To show appreciation and respect for the efforts of others.
- To keep athletics in the proper perspective.
- Co-Ed Flag Football for 5th and 6th Graders
- Boys’ Flag Football for 6th-8th Graders
- Soccer for 6th-8th Grade Boys and Girls
- Volleyball for 6th-8th Grade
- Basketball for 5th-8th Grade Boys and Girls (CCL)
- Recreation Soccer for K-6
- Baseball for 5th-8th Boys
- Softball for 5th-8th Girls
- Tennis for 5th-8th Boys/Girls
- Track and Field-track meet is at M.C.C. for grades invited-grades invited may change from year-to-year
- Recreation Basketball for K-6